Four from four in Drewer's chase for the championship.



In another performance reminiscent of the P2 Penske Porsche’s in the American Le Mans Series, Tom Drewer impressively piloted his Daily Planet WEST L2 to the second step of the overall podium today, and made it four class wins from four in Round 4 of the IMSA Lites Championship held at Miller Motorsports Park, Utah.


Drewer set a new class Race Lap Record as he navigated his way from fifth on the grid around the more powerful Elan DP02 L1 cars to hold a convincing second place overall, 5 seconds clear of the third placed Matt Downs (L1 Elan).

Drewer’s time of 1:48.802 was only 7 tenths slower than the fastest lap of the race by L1 race winner, Jonathan Goring. His average speed over the 3.048 mile (4.9 km) circuit was over 101 mph (162.5 kph).

‘This is an awesome result for myself and WEST Race Cars. Yesterday we showed we had what it takes to mix it right up the front of the field and today we took away a podium position from the L1’s. We’re only one step from taking the outright win.

‘I really want to thank the whole WEST/PVM team, in particular Eric Vassian, team owner, Chas Gorton and Randy Aust. The new tunnel floored WEST was on rails the whole weekend. WEST’s Australian part owner, Greg Steer was also here to see the result- mate this one’s for you and Eric.

Drewer’s second place is WEST Race Car’s best overall result for nearly two years in the IMSA Lites category.

‘We’re lighter, but about 55 horsepower down on the L1 cars and we’ve matched their performance all weekend, even though this Miller circuit is so high speed.’

Today’s result caps a perfect weekend for Drewer, who qualified first in class (4th overall), won race one in class (4th overall), qualified first in class (5th overall) for today’s race, and set a new class Qualifying Lap record and two Race Lap Records.

‘I have a brand new sponsor on-board this weekend in Melbourne, Australia’s iconic Daily Planet. I want to thank John Trimble for his support. What a way to start the partnership- and I think it’s only the start of things to come.

‘I also want to thank everyone back home for their continued support. We packed out a supporter’s dinner the other night. I said on the Skype video link up I would do you all proud and I will continue to do so. I can’t thank everyone who was involved and who attended enough. Being such a long way from home, it’s fantastic to know I have so much support.

‘People back home can put their names and messages on the back of my car. It really pumps me up to look down at my car and see them all. It really pumps me up.’

The win today gives Drewer maximum points in the L2 Championship after one-third of the IMSA Lites Championship completed.

His next race is at the North East Grand Prix of Lime Rock Circuit, Connecticut, as part of the American Le Mans Series.