Drewer continues his winning streak at Utah.


Drewer extended his winning streak to three from three by taking race one in the L2 class in round 3 of IMSA Lites at the Miller Dealerships Utah Grand Prix as part of the American Le Mans Series.

Drewer and his Daily Planet L2 WEST nearly stole a podium place from the faster L1 class and showed form in both qualifying and the race comparable to that of the P2 Penske Porsche’s performance versus the P1 Audi’s in the American Le Mans Series.

‘All day we have been right up the front with the fastest L1 drivers. In both qualifying and the race it was important to push hard and impress amongst the top L1 drivers.

In what is only Drewer’s first visit to Miller Motorsport Park, he started the race from position 4 over all and position 1 in class after an impressive qualifying session that saw Drewer and his WEST L2 take a new track class lap record of 1:48.05.

‘The WEST is flying this weekend. Miller is a rather unique track, it’s 4000 feet above sea level for a start. My number one, Chas, and the PVM/WEST team has done an awesome job again. Miller is extremely high speed and we can use the full effect of the new WEST ‘tunnel floor’. The amount of speed we can carry though the turns is awesome. I think we really proved the speed of the WEST today.’











In qualifying Drewer’s average speed over the 3.048 mile (4.9 km) Miller Motorsports Park course was 101.5 mph (163.4 kph).

‘After such a great qualifying performance I knew the start would be critical. The L1’s have more power and torque. Jonathan Goring (Elan L1) and Ricky Taylor (Elan L1) had the field tightly bunched up. I had my nose buried in the back of Ricky and got a great start. I still got a little out dragged into turn one and ended up in sixth after a slight tap in the rear from Joel Feinberg (Elan L1).

‘After quickly working back to fourth I spent most of the race catching third placed Feinberg. As I moved for a look down the inside he started to move across and closed the door. Since I’m not racing him for points I kept to my plan and just thought about the championship. But I think the L1’s will have to watch out tomorrow.’

Drewer’s L2 Daily Planet WEST finished fourth overall.

‘It was a fantastic and fitting result for many reasons, most importantly I have a new sponsor on board this weekend in Melbourne’s (Australia) iconic Daily Planet. It’s the perfect way to start the partnership. I would particularly like to thank John Trimble for his support.

‘I’ve also been really inspired this weekend by the amazing support that has been building back in Australia. On Wednesday night we had a supporters’ dinner in my hometown of Adelaide. I actually did a Skype video call to the function from Atlanta airport just before I flew out. It was amazing. With Ford Performance Racing’s V8 Supercar driver Steve Richards guest speaker, we packed out the Sporting Car Club of South Australia’s club rooms with over 150 people.

‘To hear them cheer as I spoke really pumped me up for this weekend and I think the fact we are mixing it with the very top of the L1 cars proves this. I really want to thank every one who attended and contributed to the night for their support.’

Drewer’s win is also the maiden win for WEST Race Cars since being acquired by PVM Racing’s Eric Vassian, also Drewer’s team owner.

‘It’s great to be able to reward Eric with another win and such a strong performance against the L1 Elans. It’s also fantastic to be driving for the Factory again after winning the 2007 Australian Thundersports Sportscar Championship for WEST Race Cars Australia and WEST’s other owner, Greg Steer.’

Drewer takes to the Miller Motorsports Park circuit again tomorrow for Round 4 of the 2008 IMSA Lites Championship.