Drewer can’t wait for Canada.


Young Australian driver Tom Drewer heads to the world famous Mosport circuit this weekend for Rounds 11 & 12 of the 2009 IMSA Lites Championship presented by Frisby Performance Tire, as part of the American Le Mans Series Mobil 1 Grand Prix of Mosport, August 27-30.

Drewer can’t wait to hit the high-speed 2.5mile (4km), 10-corner track located 1 hour east of Toronto, near Bowmanville Ontario. After all, it is one of the fastest of the season, with Drewer expecting his Ubantu Resort Élan DP-02 prototype to average over 116mph (185km/h) and reach a maximum of 145mph (235 km/h).

“A year ago I won my first ever race at Mosport. It was my first race in Canada, and my first time driving the circuit, so it’s a very special place for me.”

In 2008 Drewer won the Lites 2 class after starting from pole position (in class). It was his 6th race win of the season and he went on to claim the 2008 IMSA Lites 2 Championship with ten wins from twelve starts.


This year Drewer has stepped up to the faster Lites 1 cars, and while he has adapted to the car quickly and has been a consistent front-runner, it hasn’t been the ‘dream-run’ he had last year.

“I think we’ve really made a steady progression this year and then in New Jersey I showed I have what it takes. We put the car on pole for Race 2, with the fastest Lites 1 lap of the weekend, and led half the race.

But I guess lady luck hasn’t been on my side this year. In the end we could only manage fourth in Jersey and then blistered tires kept us off the podium again at Lime Rock. The last rounds at Road America were a complete disaster. I was incorrectly issued a black flag by race control, which we had to obey. That ruined the whole weekend, costing me finishing position in race 1, starting position in race 2 and valuable championship points. We should be 4th or a solid 5th in the Championship. Now we’re 7th.”

The hardship isn’t getting Drewer down though. He’s focused on his dream and working harder than ever to achieve his goals of following in the footsteps of fellow countryman David Brabham in becoming Australia’s next Le Mans Series driver and Le Mans 24 Hour winner.

“I’m living my dream, racing here in North America. It has been a lot of sacrifice to get to this point. I’ve given up everything I own, and left everything behind to come here. A lot of people back home (in Australia), my family, supporters and sponsors are giving up a lot too. It’s a big effort.

2008 was an amazing first year over here. A bit of bad luck this year is nothing to worry about. That’s motor racing. For sure it’s frustrating, but with my new sponsor Ubantu Resort I’m determined to hold a trophy up high this weekend. That’s what I’m focused on.

I’m working hard off the track to finish the season strongly and make the progression to ALMS, or potentially GrandAm, GT or prototypes next year. Gary Daniels of Health Defence is conditioning me for long stints in endurance races. I’m working on my mental game too, and seeking sponsorship partners for next year.

I must say I’m really excited by the announcement of the Le Mans Prototype Challenge class (LMPC) for the ALMS next year. It is certainly one of the options I’m investigating.

Last year Mosport delivered my first win in Canada. Hopefully this year it can deliver my first win in Lites 1, and the first win for my Comprent Motor Sports team. The atmosphere is always amazing at Mosport and the track is as ballsy as they come. I can’t wait.”

Tom Drewer and his Ubantu Resort Élan DP-02 will hit the track tomorrow morning, Thursday, August 27 for the first of two test sessions. Official practice gets underway Friday. Qualifying will be held on Saturday along with Round 11 at 6.35pm. Round 12 will be held directly before the American Le Mans Series Race at 1:30pm on Sunday, August 30.