Drewer back to his roots before he goes back.


Young South Australian driver Tom Drewer has spent a day back where it all started, the Southern Go Kart Club’s Bolivar raceway, before he heads back to America after being signed with Comprent Motorsports’ IMSA Lites 1 outfit.

It was at the Bolivar raceway, just north of Adelaide, that Drewer first took to the track, then aged 7.

‘It’s amazing to think that only a few years ago I had my first race here, and now I’m racing on some of the world’s most famous tracks including Sebring, Mosport, Road Atlanta and Laguna Seca.

So it’s fantastic to be back on this circuit, and with all the new facilities the club certainly has come a long way- it’s great.

Last year I had to deal with learning a new track every time I went racing, but I can drive this one with my eyes closed. I would have done thousands of laps around here as a kid.

Karting is a great way to keep you’re eye in and I really want to thank Ian Williams Tuning for supplying the kart, and the Southern Go Kart Club for making it all possible.

This time of year is always exciting. It may be the off season, but there is always plenty to do, resetting my goals, working out the best deal for next year, and training and preparing for the season ahead, and I am still in need of more sponsors.

After my first season racing overseas it has also been great to spend some time at home, having Christmas with my family, seeing all my mates and being able to celebrate my championship win with everyone.’

Drewer won the American Le Mans Series’ IMSA Lites 2 Championship last year, dominating the series winning 10 from 12 races and setting 5 track lap records. Australia’s AutoAction magazine has named Drewer ‘Best Overseas Rookie’ in their annual awards while Wheels magazine has put Drewer in their ‘Hot Half Dozen Watch List’ for 2009

‘I’m really excited to announce that I will be returning to America this year to compete and I’ll be stepping up to Lites 1 with the Championship winning team, Comprent Motorsport.’

‘After weighing up several options and series, I feel this is the next logical step in my international career and to progressing towards my driving Prototypes in the Le Mans Series, and winning the Le Mans 24 Hour outright.’

Interestingly the only Australian to ever achieve this feat is fellow South Australian, former karter and long time supporter of Tom Drewer, Vern Schuppan who won the world’s most gruelling Sportscar race driving for Porsche.

And what does Drewer say to all the young aspiring racing drivers out there?
‘Follow your dreams, and never give up. Go out and buy a go-kart, you never know where you’ll end up.’