Drewer wins first time out in Canada.


Tom Drewer has won in his first ever race in Canada at the Mobil 1 Grand Prix of Mosport, taking out Round 7 of the 2008 IMSA Lites L2 Championship.

The win yesterday means the young up and coming Australian has won at every single circuit he has raced at this year, including his first ever race in America earlier this year at the Mobil 1 12 hours of Sebring event.

(Image: Tom Drewer talks to fellow Australian David Brabham after his race 1 win.)


As with Lime Rock Park and Miller Motorsports Park, Drewer had not ventured out on to the circuit prior to his first Practice session.

“This is my first year racing in North America. I’m so happy to be here racing, and to mark another milestone, my first race in Canada, with a win is fantastic. “

Drewer and his Daily Planet WEST started the race from grid position 12 overall, but in pole position for the IMSA Lites L2 Class with his new team mate Jordan Taylor (son of 5 times World Sportscar Champion and 2 times Daytona 24 Hour winner Wayne Taylor) one position behind in 13th.

“My main objective for the weekend is to play it cool, calm and to collect as many points as possible for the Championship.

I knew Jordan would be strong competition. We’ve been trading fastest times all weekend. I also knew that another WEST driver Eric (Vassian) would be on a charge from further back of the grid.

I was a little lucky to start from pole in the class because of the abandoned qualifying session (that gave me pole from superior practice times), but Jordan was only 1 place behind and had the inside line. So, it was always going to come down to the start.

I got a great start and immediately made an aggressive move to the inside, putting at least one L1 car between Jordan and myself. By turn two I think was up to 7th or 8th overall. From then it was about managing my race and my gap between Jordan and Eric.

I didn’t fight too much with the L1s. There wasn’t much point. We’ve got our Championship to win and they have theirs. In the end we finished in 11th overall, one place higher than my start position.

It’s just fantastic to have another win for Daily Planet, my WEST Race Cars team and all of my supporters back home. I really can’t thank everyone who has helped get me over here this year enough.”

Along the way to his victory, Drewer also set a new class race lap record with a time of 1:20.078 in the race which means he will again start from pole in class, 12th overall for race 2, today. Drewer qualified with an average speed of 180 kph on the historic Mosport road circuit.