Drewer's domination continues.


Tom Drewer has won race 1 at the Northeast Grand Prix at Lime Rock Park near Lakeville, Connecticut, extending his lead in the IMSA Lites L2 Championship.

This win takes Drewer’s IMSA Lites L2 championship run to five first in five starts.

The young Australian led the L2 class from start to finish after earning L2 pole in the previous days qualifying session.

Lime Rock’s schedule was intense, with two practise sessions and one qualifying session compressed into just the one day.

"Lime Rock was always going to be an interesting weekend for us. Like every track I visit this year it is my first time here and what makes Lime Rock more challenging is that we have only had two sessions before qualifying to get it right.

"I made good progress in practice sessions one and two, and in qualifying reduced my time a further two seconds to finish 7th overall, and on pole for L2.

"I would have liked to have been a little higher amongst the more powerful L1s especially after we finished second outright in Utah. I think we could have shown a little more pace in qualifying, and in the end fell just short of our goal, due to session being stopped prematurely by a red flag.

“It's such a cliché to say 'if I had another lap...' but I think today it was true, however, we still met our objective of an L2 pole.”

In the race Drewer showed his true pace, setting a new track L2 lap record of 56.145 seconds.

"The race was interesting. With everyone new to the re-configured track we knew there was the chance of carnage over the first few laps so I kept the championship in mind and took a slightly conservative approach.

"Once the race had taken a set I knuckled down and set about refining my line and increasing the pace. I ended up taking a further 1.5 seconds off my qualifying performance which was good progress. We also reduced the gap to the fastest L1 driver, Jonathan Goring, from around 3 seconds to just 1.5 seconds.

"It was great to get another trifecta- the pole, win and track lap record. But now we have to focus on the next one."

Drewer's race one lap time has qualified him 1st in class and 8th overall for race two to be held later today at the Lime Rock circuit.