Road Atlanta test.



Hi everyone. I just thought I would write a quick report to keep everyone in the loop with what’s been going on since Sebring.

Hi everyone. I just thought I would write a quick report to keep everyone in the loop with what’s been going on since Sebring.

Most of my time has been spent doing the administration side of motorsport, helping PVM prepare my car for the next round at Utah, and continuing to improve my fitness.

However, on Monday and Tuesday of this week I went to Road Atlanta for a two day test.

It was my first time at the famous circuit. I imagine my first impression of Road Atlanta is similar to the first impression you get from Bathurst.

I was just totally blown away by the number of fast corners, the amount of undulation and of course that amazing, and totally blind, turn 11 under the bridge before you plummet down the hill and around 12 onto the main straight.

Turn 11 is an amazing corner. You crest the hill under the bridge pulling third gear, and you take the next fifteen or so meters with no reference to where the track is going absolutely flat out as you dive down the hill.

But it’s turn 1 and the Esses after turn 3 that are the most fun.

Around turn 1 the aero from the tunnel floor just sucks you to the ground and the g-forces on your body are amazing. My neck was actually sore by the end of each day from going around this turn.

The Esses just put another grin on your face. You come out of turn 3 in third gear with plenty of road speed and hold it flat down and around the left, right, left before going back up towards five. There’s no lift here. It’s just flat, pulling gears 4 and 5 as you go through. It’s unbelievable. It’s wild!

Road Atlanta has instantly become my new favourite race track.

The two day test went exactly to plan. The first session was spent doing observation laps and putting sectors together. By my second session I was pretty well on the pace (thank you X-Box!) and we began testing setups to optimise the performance out the IMSA Spec WEST Tunnel Floor car.

The weather, which had been threatening on Monday (we did have some light drizzle during the afternoon), cleared up for a fine and rather warm day on Tuesday.

In the end my team mate, Eric Vassian, and I got another two seconds out of the best time PVM had ever recorded at Road Atlanta. We both finished the second day in the mid 1 minute 20s. This was an extremely competitive time, only 1 second off the fastest, much more powerful, L1 Elan prototype participating in the test with their new Tunnel Floor.

I was extremely happy with my personal performance because this was my first time at Road Atlanta. I also took a rather conservative approach, yet was quickly on the pace, and I feel have a little more up my sleeve for when we go back there later in the year to race.

I think we have really bridged the gap to the L1s and I’m really looking to Utah now and seeing just how far up the overall grid we can be.