Drewer on track in USA.



Upon arrival in America, Tom Drewer immediately headed to ‘Little Talladega’ raceway to be with his new team, Atlanta based PVM, as part of their pre-season testing program

before the official IMSA sanctioned test to be held later this month at Sebring International Raceway, Florida.

Greeting Tom at the raceway was Eric Vassian, co-owner of PVM Racing and fellow L2 IMSA lite driver.

‘It was great to finally meet Tom,’ Eric said. ‘We are delighted to have him on-board and are looking forward to helping him achieve back to back championships on either side of the Pacific.’

PVM tested a brand new WEST ‘tunnel floor’ chassis, the same spec as Tom will race in the 2008 IMSA Lites Championship at the Talledega circuit.

‘The added downforce of the tunnel floor gives the car a noticeable performance gain. It’s clear to me that I’ll be able to corner much faster in the new IMSA spec car than in the car I won the Australian Championship last year,’ said Drewer.

‘After 35 hours in transit I advised the team it wasn’t a great idea for me to jump in the car, but it was great to finally meet my team and to see the tunnel car in action.’

While not in a WEST, Tom did complete a couple of laps of Little Talladega in an Audi Quattro road car.

‘Even though I was extremely jet lagged, I was itching to get out on the track. It was good to get behind the wheel for the first time on an American circuit. Now I’m just really looking forward to taking delivery of my new WEST and rolling out of pit lane at Sebring for the first time.’

As part of Tom’s introduction to the ‘deep south’ PVM supplied a traditional ‘bbq smoked shredded pork sandwich’ for lunch.

‘Everyone at PVM has made me feel so welcome today, and it’s great to see that I get along well with my chief race engineer, Jake Randels, because apart from the fact he’s responsible for my car. I’ll also be living with him!’ said Drewer at the end of the day.


Drewer’s USA race debut is at Sebring on March 13/14.